Only the chancel of the Church of Saint Peter of Abragão maintains the Romanesque style.
In 1105 the existence of “Sancto Petro de Auregam” was already documented.
The 13th century Church is the result of an initiative by Princess Mafalda, daughter of King Sancho I and granddaughter of King Afonso Henriques.
The exterior resembles the Romanesque design of the Monastery of Paço de Sousa due to its Visigoth and Mozarabe-influenced frieze [6th-8th centuries].
Inside, the elements that comprise the cross arch bear resemblance to the Romanesque art of the Baixo Tâmega, namely with the main portal of the Monastery of Travanca in Amarante.
Archaeological findings in 2006 concluded that the main portal of Abragão, no longer in existence, would have been very similar to the one in the Church of Saint Genesius of Boelhe.
The main façade and nave underwent reconstruction works in the second half of the 17th century.
From the same period is the Mannerist altarpiece with paintings of Saint Andrew, Saint Mary Magdalene, Saint James and Saint Martha.
Classification: National Monument - 1977
Route: Tâmega Valley
11th-12th Centuries – Original edification (now gone);
13th century – Romanesque edification;
17th Century (1668) – Reconstruction of the nave;
1820 – Inclusion of the bell tower;
1975 – Suspension of the pavement’s removal and preservation of the original pavement;
1991 – Replacement of the exterior doors;
1993 – Restoration of the gilding in the main altar;
1998 – The Church of Saint Peter of Abragão is included in the Route of the Romanesque of Vale do Sousa;
2004 – Works of general preservation of the Church in the scope of the Route of the Romanesque of Vale de Sousa project: cleaning, reinforcement and painting of the exterior spans, replacement of some casements and electric installation; preservation and restoration of the Calvary painting in the sacristy;
2006 – Preservation of the portiere, interior spaces and sacristy, and urban works of the surroundings in the scope of the Route of the Romanesque of Vale de Sousa project.
Saint Peter - 29th June
Saturday - 4 pm (winter) or 5 pm (summer); Sunday - 7 am and 11 am.
Monument fully or partly accessible to visitors with reduced mobility.
+351 255 810 706
+351 918 116 488
How to get here:
Largo Dr. Armando Melo, Abragão, Penafiel, Porto
Northern Portugal: A28/A3/A7/A24/A11 » A4 (Vila Real) » Penafiel/Lousada » Penafiel » Rota do Românico/Igreja de Abragão.
Porto: A4 (Vila Real) » Penafiel/Lousada » Penafiel » Rota do Românico/Igreja de Abragão.
Central/Southern de Portugal: A1 (Porto)/ A29 (V.N. Gaia) » A41 CREP » A4 (Vila Real) » Penafiel/Lousada » Penafiel » Rota do Românico/Igreja de Abragão.
Penafiel: Penafiel » Rota do Românico/Igreja de Abragão.