The Church of Saint Michael of Entre-os-Rios is located in an area significant to the Christian Reconquest period known as the civitas of Anégia.
Anégia was a part of the political-military reorganization led by King Alfonso III of Asturias, which aimed to create safe conditions for settlement in the Douro valley in the 10th century.
The earliest reference to the Church of Saint Michael dates back to the 11th century, linking the current building to a 14th century reform.
This building combines construction typical of the Romanesque style with Gothic elements, namely the botanic decoration of the crossing arch and the north portal.
This portal demonstrates more sophisticated decoration than the main portal, presenting an archivolt decorated with diamond-tip motifs and eight-petal faceted and bevelled leaves, resembling the cross arch in the Church’s interior.
The medieval chancel was extended and elevated in the 18th century, also receiving a Baroque altarpiece in the national style ornamented with Marian symbols.
Classification: National Monument - 1927
Route: Douro Valley
11th century – Original Edification (now gone);
13th or 14th century – Edification of the Church;
18th century – Extension and heightening of the chevet and placement of the main altar;
19th century – Placement of the side altars and the pulpit;
20th century – Placing the lining of glazed tiles;
1936 – Conservation and restoration works;
1964 – Restoration works carried out by the priest;
1980 – Cleaning the surrounding vegetation;
1981 – Repairing the covering and carpentry;
1982 – General conservation and repair works;
1998 – The Church of Saint Michael of Entre-os-Rios is included in the Route of the Romanesque of Vale do Sousa;
2003 – Works for the general preservation of roofing, batters and exterior spans;
2004 – Works for the general preservation of pavements, batters and ceilings;
2005 – Works for the general preservation of roofing, batters and exterior spans carried out in the scope of the project Route of the Romanesque of Vale do Sousa.
Saint Michael - 29th September
Saturday - 4 pm
Monument not accessible to visitors with reduced mobility.
+351 255 810 706
+351 918 116 488
How to get here:
Largo de S. Miguel, Entre-os-Rios, Eja, Penafiel, Porto
Northern Portugal: A28/A3/A7/A24/A11 » A4 (Vila Real) » Entre-os-Rios/Penafiel Sul » Entre-os-Rios » Rota do Românico/S. Miguel.
Porto: A4 (Vila Real) » Entre-os-Rios/Penafiel Sul » Entre-os-Rios » Rota do Românico/S. Miguel.
Central/Southern Portugal: A1 (Porto)/ A29 (V.N. Gaia) » A41 CREP » A4 (Vila Real) » Entre-os-Rios/Penafiel Sul » Entre-os-Rios/Rota do Românico/S. Miguel.
Penafiel: Entre-os-Rios » Rota do Românico/S. Miguel.