The foundation of the Monastery of Saint Peter of Cête, traditionally attributed to the nobleman D. Gonçalo Oveques, dates back to the 10th century.
It was restored between the end of the 12th century and the beginning of the 14th century at the will of the abbot D. Estevão Anes, evidence of which may be seen in the limestone inscription near his tomb.
Only the first rows of the nave's walls and the south portal facing the cloister from the 10th century building were kept and used.
Despite the Gothic reformation, the Church has long borne witness to Romanesque shapes and construction. The bell tower shelters the restored burial chapel of D. Gonçalo Oveques, along with the chapter hall and the cloister of the Manueline period [15th-16th centuries].
In 1551, the Monastery ceased to belong to the Order of Saint Benedict, and was annexed to the College of the Grace of the Hermits of Saint Augustine in Coimbra.
Highlighted inside the Monastery are the images of Saint Peter, Saint Lucia and Our Lady of Grace all in limestone, as well as the mural painting of Saint Sebastian which dates back to the 16th century.
Classification: National Monument - 1910
Route: Sousa Valley
10th century – Original foundation;
11th century (end) – Second foundation;
12th century (1. º quarter) – Adoption of the Rule of Saint Benedict;
13th (end) and 14th (early) centuries – Rebuilding of the Church;
16th century – Construction or reconstruction of the founder's chapel;
1881-1882 – Restoration works, under the Parish’s initiative;
1936 – Beginning of the restoration campaign under the guidance of the DGEMN – Direção Geral dos Edifícios e Monumentos Nacionais [General Directorate for Buildings and National Monuments];
1948-1953 – Miscellaneous works;
1966 – Conservation works;
1967 – General conservation, drainage of the cloister and electric installation;
1972 – Repairing the damages caused by a storm
1976 – Maintenance of the roofing;
1980 – Repair of the Church’s eaves confining with the sacristy and the cloister;
1982 – Repair and conservation of the body adjacent to the sacristy;
90s – The Church of Saint Peter of Cête becomes a ward of the IPPAR - Instituto Português do Património Arquitetónico [Portuguese Institute of Architectural Heritage];
1998 – The Monastery of Saint Peter of Cête is included in the Route of the Romanesque of Vale do Sousa;
2015 – Works for the general conservation of the Church, mostly at the levels of the roofs, external walls and lighting/ventilation openings, under the scope of the Route of the Romanesque.
Saint Peter - 29th June
Sunday - 10.00 am
Monument fully or partly accessible to visitors with reduced mobility.
+351 255 810 706
+351 918 116 488
How to get here:
Largo do Mosteiro, Cête, Paredes, Porto
Douro Railroad (Porto-Marco Urban Trains or Porto-Régua/Pocinho Regional Trains), with exits at Cête station (2.0 km from Monastery of Cête). Check here for all the schedules and price table.
Northern Portugal: A28/A3/A7/A24/A11 » A4 (Vila Real) » Parada/Baltar » Rota do Românico/Mosteiro de Cête.
Porto: A4 (Vila Real) » Parada/Baltar » Rota do Românico/Mosteiro de Cête.
Central/Southern Portugal: A1 (Porto)/ A29 (V.N. Gaia) » A41 CREP » A4 (Vila Real) » Parada/Baltar »Rota do Românico/Mosteiro de Cête.
Paredes: N15 Porto » Rota do Românico/Mosteiro de Cête.